Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
- Able to apply the knowledge gained in the basic medical & clinical subjects in the management of patients with surgical problems.
- Able to diagnose, manage and treat patients with basic oral surgical problems.
- Have a broad knowledge of maxillofacial surgery and oral implantology.
- Should be familiar with legal, ethical and moral issues pertaining to the patient care and communication skills.
- Should have acquired the skills to examine any patient with oral surgical problems in an orderly manner.
- Understand and practice the basic principles of asepsis and sterilization.
- Should be competent in the extraction of teeth under both local and general anaesthesia.
- Competent to carry out certain minor oral surgical procedures under LA like Trans-alveolar extraction, frenectomy, dento alveolar procedures , simple impaction, biopsy.
- Competent to assess, prevent and manage common complications that arise during and after minor oral surgery.
- Able to provide primary care and manage medical emergencies in the dental office.
- Familiar with the management of major oral surgical problems and principles involved in patient management.
To produce a graduate who is competent in performing extraction of teeth under both local anaesthesia and general anaesthesia, prevent and manage related complications, acquire a reasonable knowledge and understanding of various diseases , injuries, infections occurring in the oral and maxillofacial region and offer solutions to such of those common conditions and has an exposure into the in-patient management of maxillofacial problems.
Knowledge & Understanding
- At the end of the course and clinical training the graduate is expected to
- Apply the knowledge gained in the related medical subjects like pathology, microbiology and general medicine in the management of patients with oral surgical problems.
- Diagnose, manage and treat (understand the principles of treatment) patients with oral surgical problems.
- Gain knowledge of a range of surgical treatments.
- Be able to decide the requirement of a patient to have oral surgical specialist opinion or treatment.
- Understand the principles of In-patient management.
- Understand the management of major oral surgical procedures and the principles involved in patient management.
- Know the ethical issues and have communication ability.
Professor and HOD
Dr.S.Mahendra Perumal, MDS
Dr.S.Suryahanth Mihiran, MDS
Dr.Shanmuganathan Sharmila, BDS
Dr.S.Kowsalya Devi, BDS